City of London: 020 3443 9576
High Wycombe: 01494 451355
Marlow: 01628 958445

A partner or spouse visa allows you to live in the UK for up to 33 months with your British partner. It is the first step towards settlement (indefinite leave to remain) and eventually, British Citizenship.

In order to apply, you must be:

  • A non-EEA national; and
  • Aged 18 years or over; and
  • Married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, settled person or someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK; or
  • Have been living together and in a relationship for the past two years with a British citizen, settled person or someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

The qualifying criteria applicable in your case will depend on your partner's situation. These criteria can be divided into the following categories:

Relationship Requirements

It must be demonstrated that you and your partner are in a 'genuine and subsisting' relationship. If you are married, you will need to provide a marriage certificate that is recognised in the UK. If you are not married, you can still apply as long as you can prove that you have lived together in a relationship for at least two years.

English Language Requirements

You must prove that you can speak English by passing an English language test (speaking and listening). You will be exempt from this requirement if:

  • You are a national of a majority English-speaking country;
  • You are aged over 65;
  • You have a disability which prevents you from meeting this requirement; or
  • You have a degree from an educational establishment that was taught or researched in English.

Financial and Accomodation Requirements

You are required to prove that you and your partner have sufficient money to support yourselves without claiming public benefits. Your partner needs an income of at least £18,600 (before tax) if there are no dependent children. If there are dependent children applying with you, the income threshold is higher.

If you do not have enough income, there are other specified sources of income that can be included. 

You will also need to prove that your prospective accommodation will meet UK living standards. Your partner must show that he or she can provide adequate accommodation for themselves, you and for the family, including other family members who are not included in the application but who live in the same household.

Additional Requirements

You will need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK and you are a resident of a country listed by UK Visas and Immigration as required to produce a valid test certificate.

Our Fees

We are able to offer you either advice or full representation in your spouse visa matter.

Consultation fee (charged at an hourly rate):

Immigration Caseworker (High Wycombe): £150 + VAT
Immigration Caseworker (London): £250 + VAT
Senior Immigration Caseworker/ Head of Department (High Wycombe): £250 + VAT
Senior Immigration Caseworker/ Head of Department (London): £350 + VAT

Full representation:

This service includes: providing you with a tailored list of documents which we believe are necessary for you to provide in your particular circumstances; drafting a letter of legal representations which explains to the decision-maker how you meet the appropriate requirements; preparing and submitting your application on your behalf; and liaising with the Home Office as and when is necessary until a decision is reached on your case.

Fee range (High Wycombe): £1,200 - £1,700 + VAT
Fee range (London): £1,800 - £2,500 + VAT

List of potential additional costs in immigration cases:

  • Home Office application fee (see here)
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (see here)
  • Immigration Skills Charge (see here)
  • Interpreters fees
  • Tribunal fees
  • Optional premium service fees for in-country and out-of-country applications

Processing time

Once we receive the appropriate documents from you, we will submit your application promptly and generally within 10 days of receipt of these. We will take note of your preferences when it comes to application submission and try to work with you to achieve your desired outcome.

We are unable to guarantee how long the Home Office will take to decide on your application, although unnecessary delays that exceed 6 months may be unlawful in your matter. Details of current Home Office processing times guidance here:

Frequently asked questions

How do I submit my supporting documents?

This must either be done at a visa processing centre in the country from which you are submitting the application or can be done by your sponsor in the UK. You must also submit  your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph) at the visa processing centre before the Home Office will consider your application. 

How long will it take for me to receive a decision on my case?

Generally, you will receive a decision within 8 to 12 weeks, barring exceptional circumstances. There is a priority service that can be purchased at the submission stage, for an additional fee. If your application is successful, you will be given 30 days to enter the UK then you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit from a location close to your accommodation. 

What if I do not meet one of the requirements?

There may be an option for you to apply in 'exceptional circumstances', including on the basis of your human rights. We would need to carry out a full assessment of your case to see if this would be a viable option for you. 

Can I extend my partner visa after my leave expires?

You can renew and extend your visa for another 30 months, as long as you apply before the end of your current leave and meet all of the requirements set out in the Immigration Rules for further leave to remain.

After you have lived in the UK for a total of 5 years, you can apply for settled status (indefinite leave to remain), followed by British citizenship. 

What can I do if my application is rejected?

If your case is rejected, you may be given the right to appeal against the Home Office's decision in the Immigration and Asylum Tribunal. This can be challenging, and it is best that you seek legal advice at this stage. 

Please contact us for a free no obligation discussion by calling our City of London or High Wycombe offices on the telephone numbers referred to at the top of this page, or by email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Our Immigration and Human Rights Team
Recommended by The Legal 500 - The Clients' Guide to Law Firms  Family Law - Solicitors High Wycombe   Collobrative Law - Curzon Green Solicitors   Law society   SRA      PNLA

        Family Law - Curzon Green Solicitors