City of London: 020 3443 9576
High Wycombe: 01494 451355
Marlow: 01628 958445
Curzon Green Solicitors - The Legal 500Parental responsibility is defined as all the rights, duties, powers and responsibilities and authority which a parent has in relation to the child. In effect, parental responsibility gives the individual the right to be involved in the day-to-day management of the child’s life. People with parental responsibility are entitled to be given information regarding the child’s education and any medical matters.

A mother has parental responsibility as soon as the child is born and this can never be removed unless the child is freed or placed for adoption.

As a father, you will also have parental responsibility if you were married to the mother at the time of the birth or married her later on. If you are an unmarried father you can acquire parental responsibility in one of six ways:
  • If the child is born after 1st December 2003 by registering the birth with the mother so that your name appears on the birth certificate.
  • By entering into a Parental Responsibility Agreement with the mother.
  • By applying to the Court for a Parental Responsibility Order.
  • By being appointed a guardian by the mother or the Court.
  • By obtaining a Residence Order from the Court.
  • By marrying the mother.
Step-parents (through either marriage or civil partnership) can also acquire parental responsibility by either entering into a step-parent parental responsibility agreement or applying to the Court for an Order. A grandparent can normally obtain parental responsibility if the child is living with them on a regular basis by applying for a residence order.

For more information please contact us today for a free no obligation discussion by calling one of the two telephone numbers at the top of this page, or by email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our Family Law Team

Recommended by The Legal 500 - The Clients' Guide to Law Firms  Family Law - Solicitors High Wycombe   Collobrative Law - Curzon Green Solicitors   Law society   SRA      PNLA

        Family Law - Curzon Green Solicitors